There is a parable in the Bible about a wise man who built his house on the rock, and a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The parable points out, among other things, that the foundation you build on is crucial to your success.
A similar relationship exists between technical SEO and content marketing, the two broad categories of online marketing. Technical SEO lays the groundwork for effective content marketing–without it, you’re building on a shaky foundation. However, if you don’t use your SEO structure to actually build something, you’re missing an opportunity.
Search engine optimization positions your website to be an effective tool for online marketing. Important technical SEO elements include (but are not limited to):
- Site maps (both HTML and XML)
- Optimized robots.txt to guide search spiders
- Clean code
- Fast loading (one of the reasons clean code is important)
- A website silo strategy to organize your content
- Mobile optimization
If you’ve set your site up properly, then you’re ready for traffic. But how do you get the traffic?
Start Building Your Audience.
That’s where content marketing comes into play. The best-optimized site on the Internet won’t bring the traffic you need–good content will. The key, of course, is GOOD content:
- Unique. Your content should be something that people can’t find anywhere else, like unusual viewpoints, a clever angle no one else has, or subject matter that no one else covers. Above all, your content needs to be fresh and different, and you need to deliver it regularly.
- Engaging. Make sure your content has quotes, images, and short “impact” sentences that will encourage readers to both read it, and share it on social media.
- Actionable. Your post should provoke constructive action from your readers. Do you want them to call you, visit your locations, respond to your post, or share your insights? Make sure you’re directing your audience to take action.
You’ll need to continue to fine-tune and adjust your SEO, but the majority of your time should be spent on content marketing, creating the clever and unusual content that will draw the traffic you want to your website. What kind of content marketing strategy would you use to make your brand stand out? Share your ideas with us and your friends, we’d love to see how creative you can be with it.
Providing Atlanta, Orlando & Wichita businesses with First Class SEO & Digital Marketing services and development.