We live in a world of micro-moments. We make last minute decisions influenced by other reviews about some particular product or service. We solve problems and find new ideas by watching videos on our smartphone, and now we can even see a live video of someone taking a tour through Indonesia while chilling on our sofa with our cell phone–thanks to Periscope.
The question now is, how can we really grab the attention of our targeted audience, and how can we use this app to our advantage while helping others?
Periscope literally crashed the visual content marketing party where YouTube was the king and tons of infographics were in line waiting to take over that throne. Nowadays, anyone can open a Periscope account and start recording their dog’s daily day (I think it would be pretty cool to let your dog do a Periscope video with your GoPro camera.)
According to @Alexpettitt, over 36 million people have broadcasted from Periscope since it was released. Here are some great ideas that other successful “Scopers” are currently using for their Periscope’s broadcasts.
- Use Emoticons: While an excessive usage of the emoticons will irritate your whole community, using a couple of them on the title of your Periscope video will do the trick to make your Tweet stand out from others. Below are some visual samples so you can see this for yourself:
Nicole Richie is not using any emoticons for her Periscope broadcasts. Yeah. I know she probably doesn’t need them, but you get the idea (I just wanted to pick on her, LOL).
Which one do you think would grab your attention?
See the difference?
- Catchy Title & Unique Hashtags: Planning and creating the title of your Periscope video will make a huge difference. Thrilling and informative are the best ingredients to create amazing titles. Your title is what will convince your users to join your live Periscope.
Would you click here?
Your own hashtag, like the one we use, #PeriscopeWithOT, will help with your brand consistency, and will help your users to find your videos through Twitter in case they want to replay them later.
- Behind the Scenes: If taking behind the scenes pictures was already working for you in terms of social media engagement, imagine showing your audience a real live video of things that are happening in your office, or wherever you are.
Both of these TV broadcasters have already started to do it on a daily basis!
4. Live Tutorials or “Teasers”: A great way to engage with your audience could be creating quick “How To” Periscope videos to show your followers some demonstration of a service/product you provide. Teaser videos would be a great idea to promote and create the buzz around the next e-book you’ll be releasing soon. The possibilities, based on your type of business, are endless — let your imagination fly!
- Create a Live Contest: If you want to feel the love of your audience, and entice them to be super active on your Periscope retransmission, create a quick contest where the users with the highest amount of hearts will win. See more ideas below:
6. Q&A Section: A Question/Answer Periscope video will not only be a great strategy to engage with your users and to give them the opportunity to speak up, but this will also show your community that your business is transparent and you have no fear in giving an answer to any unexpected question someone could ask.
- Create Your Own Cover for Every Periscope Video: Create a cover like we did for this blog post so you can show it at the beginning of your Periscope Video. It will help your video look more official and informative when your Periscope starts. Also, if anyone shares your Periscope link, that is the image that will appear as a small graphic next to the link from Twitter. This cover will also help to keep your brand consistent.
I hope all these cool tips work for you. Have fun, share remarkable content, and, overall, be natural, be you. Don’t forget that behind every screen, there will be a lot of people willing to share that micro-moment with you, and take something from it. The more remarkable and unique you are, the more impact you’ll have on them.
Find more cool apps to use for Social Media Engagement in this blog, and stay tuned to our blog for many more great marketing tips to come.